Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 13, 2006

Baby Sounds and Preschooler Structures

I've grown accustomed to hearing lots of noises from Lily. She is particularly fond of da-da-da-da, she also likes to say baba, ah-ba, na-na-na , ah-ee and the occasional ma-ma. None of these have associations for her yet, but she loves making noises. She gurgles, she giggles, she out and out laughs. These are all familiar and wonderful, but last night this crazy thing happened. Last night Jay handed her an Arrowroot biscuit and said, "This is a cookie." Then this little tiny voice said, "Cookie" and she put it in her mouth. Wide-eyed I looked at Jay as if to confirm that I had just heard what I just heard only to find the same expression on his face. "She just said 'cookie'!" I exclaimed. I was in such shock I'm not sure how he responded, but I know he confirmed my statement somehow. Of course she doesn't really know what she said, she was just imitating, but wow- just wow. We tried to get her to say it again, but she just grinned at us, ate her cookie and made her usual sounds.
Not to be outdone by his little sister Ryan had his own accomplishment yesterday. He built this...


(not the greatest picture of him, but look at that structure!)

If you do not have a toddler preschooler (I just can't get used to calling him that!) or your kid is just some kids of super genius who has built mega towers out of blocks already maybe you do not understand the significance of this particular structure. You see how he built a base and then two pillars to hold up the roof? Yea, that's pretty dag-on amazing to me. I really couldn't believe that he didn't have any help, but he didn't. I mean piling block on top of block that's cool and everything, but this is...well, wow- just wow.
I am amazed at my kids many days, but some days are just extraordinary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sure is something, your little girl. Even if she was just imitating a sound, 'cookie' is a pretty good imitation!

I am totally impressed with Ryan's structure. He looks rather pleased, himself.

Erin said...

That post is definitely a WOW post! How wonderful you AND your hubby got to experience Lily talking.

One Tweet Thing said...

Thirding the Wow!

So is cookie her first official word? Or do you have to wait for her to understand what it is to count?

Periwinkle Jen said...

She has to know what she is saying for it to count as her first word.