So, remember how I became a consultant for Creative Memories? Well, if you missed it, I did. I booked a get together from my first e-mail and I was so excited about it. I spent all kinds of time getting ready and learning stuff. It occupied my time and it felt good to be working toward something. It was supposed to be this past Saturday. Unfortunately the host got sick and had to postpone. It's totally not her fault and I'm glad to not be sick right now because of it, but it was a big let down. No one else has told me they want to host a get together and I don't want to pressure anyone. I feel bad guilting or pressuring people into doing things for me. So now I'm stuck. I feel so deflated to have nothing to show for all the work I've done and I don't know where to go from here. Maybe people would host an event they just need a personal invitation, but is that putting people on the spot? I've heard way too many people complain about how "so and so" keeps bugging me to have a "such and such" party or "such and such" only talks to me to sell me stuff. Ugh, I don't know what to do and I feel like a total failure. I chose Creative Memories because I know it will sell itself. After years of working in craft stores and crafting on my own I can tell you it is definitely the best stuff out there. I was actually surprised at the difference when I first started using only CM stuff (which was a couple weeks ago when I got my kit, but I didn't tell you that.) I know I just need to be able to present it to people. I love scrap booking and I thought this would be so fun. Well...it is fun when I am getting ready for stuff or doing something, but it's totally not fun to feel like a failure.
Any advice?



11 comments:
Are you on close enough terms w/ people in your neighborhood to start there? This girl in my neighborhood who does mary kay has convinced everyone but me to have a party... and everyone always seems pretty excited to go to them. (except for me because I'm just not into the makeup thing)
I have also seen some people who sell Creative Memories host scrapping parties at their own houses (someone around the corner from me always has signs out for it)... and they sell things that way.
I'd host a party for you, but well a) i'm nine months pregnant and b) I don't know anyone who scrapbooks or wants to scrapbook... in fact, most of them complain they don't even have time to order prints of the photos they take much less cut and paste things into a book. :( (my neighbors and I were actually discussing this topic two days ago... )
Is there somewhere at church you could leave cards? How about at gymnastics or your moms group? I dunno... those work-at-home businesses just seem like they require so much pressuring of people to even be moderately successful... i'm not sure how you can get around that part of it...
Well, we are still planning the one for the family, right? Maybe that will get things rolling. You're doing everything you can, and it will work out in its own time. I know the let-down is awful. I wish I had more constructive advice. Love you!
I don't really talk to as many of the moms at gymnastics anymore because I take Lily in to the class and while I'm in there I don't talk to many moms because I'm too busy chasing Lily around. I feel a little wierd about just handing them a card.
For workshops (that's the things at your own house) you're supposed to have 4-5 women who will regularly attend. I would love to start one just for the fun of getting together and scrap booking. I have this idea that started before I became a consultant...I'll share it with you in person. It's kind of hard to explain. It is actually the reason I started on the path that led me to become a consultant.
Yeah, I would have trouble just handing people a card too... that's why I could never have one of those businesses. The MK girl in my neighborhood was saying how her team leader just randomly walks up to people in stores and starts talking about makeup. Creepy!
If you don't mind waiting until June I could host one. I will have stopped working by then and will have time to have one. I know quiet a few people who would be interested in coming. Plus I would like to get some new stuff for the babies book.
This would probably take some time, but could you make some mini albums from some events at church and/or school stuff?
Then you could pass them around for people to enjoy and "just so happen" to have business cards in the back. :)
Supplementing-wise, if you are having problems finding people who want to scrapbook themselves, maybe you could do a side business in making simple scrapbooks (using your creative memories stuff and charging accordingly). Makes great gifts for the grandparents/making the 3rd child feel loved when they are older. :) And the final product may inspire people to start scrapbooking.
Jen, Christina had a great idea!! What a neat business that would be... scrapbooking for people who don't have the time to! (because I know SO many people who want to but just can't manage it) The problem is, YOU'D have to find the time, but given the right amount of "incentive" ($$!!) I'll bet you could figure it out. You could totally charge a premium for a service like that.
Jenn- I could totally do a get together for you in June! It would be so great to have something to work toward again. I still have the postponed party in May, but I feel like I've done most of what I can for that party until it gets closer to the time for it to happen. E-mail me- you will find the address in the sidebar or you can get it from Erin. We'll talk:-)
I'd totally host a party except that, well, I live in California. My CM consultant (Missy) does what you mentioned above- she has sort of an "open house" (I think the scrapbook stores call them "crops") type thing where people can bring their projects and she has all her CM stuff out for them to use/buy. She also takes orders for people who want their books done for them, like Christina above said. She parses them out to other scrapbookers if she doesn't have time herself.
Do you have a more established consultant that you could talk to about your frustrations? I'm sure a lot of people go through this at the beginning... If you don't, I'd be happy to ask Missy if you could email her...
Christina really did have a great idea. You could even include some space for the person the book is for to 'journal.' Excellent hinking, Christina!
I don't know much about it, but I know some girls that are really into it. She is also a CM consultant, and she just has something she calls "open scrap" where anyone can come to her house and scrapbook. Its a nice break for the moms, they do it on Sunday afternoons. Sometimes she has a bigger workshop and really recruits people. As far as being pushy? EMAIL. Its a heck of a lot easier to push on email.
Post a Comment