So, Zach has chicken pox. What's that? Did you say chicken pox? Why yes I did. Don't they immunize against that? Yes, yes they do. Didn't Zach get the immunization? Let me check...YES. Then why does he have the chicken pox? Good question!
I've heard it wears off... maybe his did? (I've also heard even with the vax you can get a mild case of it)
I actually am now wishing I hadn't gotten Ben vaccinated for it. I keep reading about how it wears off and then people are at risk to get it as adults when it can be VERY dangerous. Now I'm concerned.
I say expose away! (Lily anyway, Ryan, I'm guessing was vaxed already) ;)
I know it's hard to have a sick kid-- especially with "the pox," but I have heard that it can be good to get it early due to problems with the vaccine. I know of some moms who WANT to expose their kids to avoid it in the future.
I do hope you can manage & that he feels better soon.
Gahd, I have heard about this happening. I think that may be one of the least reliable vaccines. My brother had it and now he has shingles. Fun times! I know its rough over there right now, hope it is mild and he gets well SOON!
Oh, Jen. This happened with Maddie, and it sucked. This year, we had an outbreak at my school, with 20% of the school population getting chicken pox (I'll mail you the news link), all but one having been vaccinated. Two dads from my class ended up catching it, which was scary.
Not that it will help Zach, but we learned with the health dept.'s visit to our school, about six months ago the CDC changed the recommendation to two doses of the vaccine, as it is only effective in 70-80% of children the first time around.
In the meantime, Aveeno! The oatmeal baths helped a lot. Here's hoping it's a milder case, something they promise happens with vaccinated children.
Mari, I read on your blog about that. You can bet Ryan and Lily will be getting a booster shot! That's actually how I knew about a lot of the stuff you guys said. I guess I was just being dramatic;-)
7 comments:
Oh no! Poor Zach. Are you going to expose Ryan and/or Lily and get it all over with at once?
I've heard it wears off... maybe his did? (I've also heard even with the vax you can get a mild case of it)
I actually am now wishing I hadn't gotten Ben vaccinated for it. I keep reading about how it wears off and then people are at risk to get it as adults when it can be VERY dangerous. Now I'm concerned.
I say expose away! (Lily anyway, Ryan, I'm guessing was vaxed already) ;)
Kimberly claims to have gotten chickenpox *three* times, and she was vaccinated, too!
I know it's hard to have a sick kid-- especially with "the pox," but I have heard that it can be good to get it early due to problems with the vaccine. I know of some moms who WANT to expose their kids to avoid it in the future.
I do hope you can manage & that he feels better soon.
Gahd, I have heard about this happening. I think that may be one of the least reliable vaccines. My brother had it and now he has shingles. Fun times! I know its rough over there right now, hope it is mild and he gets well SOON!
Oh, Jen. This happened with Maddie, and it sucked. This year, we had an outbreak at my school, with 20% of the school population getting chicken pox (I'll mail you the news link), all but one having been vaccinated. Two dads from my class ended up catching it, which was scary.
Not that it will help Zach, but we learned with the health dept.'s visit to our school, about six months ago the CDC changed the recommendation to two doses of the vaccine, as it is only effective in 70-80% of children the first time around.
In the meantime, Aveeno! The oatmeal baths helped a lot. Here's hoping it's a milder case, something they promise happens with vaccinated children.
Mari,
I read on your blog about that. You can bet Ryan and Lily will be getting a booster shot! That's actually how I knew about a lot of the stuff you guys said. I guess I was just being dramatic;-)
Thanks for commenting everyone:-)
Post a Comment