Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Lily's Potty Training Progress
Lily has had lots of highs and lows with the potty. She started using the potty so long ago, but she doesn't really care to waste her precious play time sitting on the potty. I've tried lots of different things. She is not motivated by a sticker chart, cheery songs or stories on the potty. I've tried the underwear only approach, but she doesn't care if she gets wet. She just tells me that she is wet once she's already left a little puddle on the carpet. Basically we were in a place where she used to potty, but only when she wanted to. Lately that was not very often. One might even say she was on a potty strike for a while. Feeling like I could no longer leave this up to my way too stubborn two year old and dreaming of all the money I'd save on diapers I broke down. I used candy. I told myself I would never use candy for potty training, so I got myself off on a technicality that make me feel better about the whole thing. The first day she got a sticker for using the potty and a lollipop for having dry undies when she did. I bribed her with lollipops often and she stayed dry the whole day. As I do not want to spend all the money I save on diapers paying the dentist I intend to cut the lollipops way back fast, so I've been using Lily's other currency. What's Lily's other currency you ask? Actually it's currency. She loves coins, any coins. She plays with them constantly. So I've been using a mixture of coins and lollipops for the past 3 days and she has not had one accident! She's doing soooo well. I'm really excited. She even tells me sometimes when she needs to go. I won't call her fully potty trained until she tells me every time she needs to go, but I think we are finally make progress toward that goal. Yippee!



1 comment:
You go, girl!
Heh, that's pretty funny...and I didn't even plan it...
Post a Comment