I think the best leaf soup is made in Autumn.
Leaf soup is something we got from my mother-in-law. I'm not sure if she invented it, but I know Jay made leaf soup as a kid. As I understand it you just take a bucket on a walk and collect leaves (and if Ryan has his way sticks)there may be some stirring involved. I have never made leaf soup before, but with the leaves starting to change it seemed like a good time to start. It's amazing how into it Ryan was! We got some leaves because they were pretty, some because they were unique and some (Ryan's) just because they were there. Ryan also added some grass, but we decided that we should only pick up things that had fallen on their own. In my opinion the coolest addition was the acorns that had fallen from our neighbor's tree. We spent about 45 minutes filling our bucket just on our street! During our adventure I saw a black and white striped feather. It was really cool looking. We carried our bucket to the back yard where I saw something come blazing down and bump into the birdfeeder next door. It was strange and I only saw it from the corner of my eye. I found it curious though so I tried to see past the bush. Then a hawk (or falcon I didn't get a very good look) that was probably the source of the feather we saw flew away. Those birds are so beautiful, almost majestic. Now if I can just get the picture out of my mind of what he must have been doing to slam into the bird feeder next door I might be able to get rid of the sick feeling in my stomach and enjoy having seen such a beautiful bird.



5 comments:
What beautiful color in your Leaf Soup! Ryan looks like he was having fun.
Yummy! Some of the colors up here have been amazing this fall. Dave and I were going to walk through the arborium this weekend till he got sick. So its on the plan for next weekend.
We just might have to try this one!
That is a fun idea. I remember doing that as a kid, but my big bro would add mud and dead bugs and called it Muma-siggy-muma-slop. Yeah, he thought he was silly, but really he was strange. ;)
I think we are going to take a walk tonight.
I put my Halloween wreath up!!!!
Post a Comment