Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Lily's Potty Breakthrough

So, the other night (whenever I wrote that blurb, I knew I wouldn't remember and that's why I wrote that) Lily and Ryan were in the bath. Lily stood up, bent her knees and grunted a little. I asked if she had to use the potty and to my surprise she looked at me with a thoughtfully cocked head and said, "Yeah." It sounded like on of those in passing type yeah's you might get if you ask someone if they like their sandwich. For a second I didn't really believe her because she knows when you ask a question and usually replies with a "yeah" or a "no", but I'm not sure she always understands what she is answering. I believed her a little more when she reached her arms up for me to take her out of the tub. She hardly ever wants to get out of the tub. So I dried her off and held her on the big potty since I had not yet retrieved the little on from the basement. She didn't do anything on there, so I put a pull up on her and ran down to the basement to get the potty. I grabbed some cleaner and paper towels on the way back up. I sprayed and cleaned the potty as fast as I could whilst still making sure it was good and clean. [ a little aside: I sprayed the blue shield piece before I realized she wouldn't need it. It was a bit strange pulling it off since I've been through two boys who needed it before her, but I quickly threw it in the sink so I could get the parts that mattered clean.] I sat her on the little potty and Ryan realized he had to go too, so he did his thing. Lily got up and down, up and down. When Ryan got down she pointed to the big potty indicating she wanted to go there. I put her little seat on and she sat up there and produced. We cheered and celebrated, Daddy even ran up from downstairs. She LOVED all the attention. Maybe that's why she continues to love sitting on the potty.

She has used the potty quite a bit since then. She is no where close to not needing diapers, but she knows what to do. Most times I ask her if she wants to use the potty she says yeah. Every time she does she manages to do something. She likes using the big potty better than the little one. She has done all her stinkies on the big potty. Sometimes she will do peeps on the little potty, but if she needs to do more she will get up, take the seat and put it on the big potty. Then she holds her arms up and waits to be lifted to her throne;-)

No comments: