Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, October 01, 2007

Guess Where I Didn't Sleep Last Night

About the time I would be thinking of going to bed last night we heard some coughing on the monitor. It sounded like Ryan, sort of. Jay went up to check it out. The next thing I hear on the monitor is Jay whispering, "Jen, I need your help!" So I run up and find Jay holding Ryan. Ryan is barking like a seal and crying. Jay wanted to get him out of his room because we had just changed rooms around and Lily was in the room with him for the first time. It would have been a huge disaster if Lily woke up crying too. Ryan couldn't stop coughing or crying. I brought Ryan to our room and snuggled with him in our bed while Jay ran around getting medicine and such. Nothing was helping. I turned on a movie which stopped the full out crying, and helped him relax a bit, but he was still coughing and his breathing was labored. Jay was concerned that he might be having an asthma attack. So we took him to the ER. We were given a room right away. They gave him a nebulizer(sp?) breathing treatment and some steroids. Then we had to wait there while the steroids kicked in to make sure he was comfortable enough to go home. It was a little iffy for a while if we were going to come home or if he would be admitted for observation. The good news is that is was croup and not a lifelong disease like asthma. At 3:30AM we were released with the understanding that if he had trouble breathing again we would be right back in the ER. I didn't have any idea that croup could be that bad. The room we were in had one bed and one chair that didn't seem all that comfortable when I really wanted to be stretched out on my nice soft mattress. Since Jay and I had both gone with Ryan (luckily my mom is here so she stayed with the other two) we took turns sitting on the bed with Ryan and in the chair. After a couple hours the sitting on the bed became lying on the bed. Don't think there was one bit of rest going on while we laid on that bed though, Ryan was practically bouncing off the walls after he could breath better. I guess it had something to do with side effects from the breathing treatment. He is still sleeping as is Jay.

How was your night?

4 comments:

Erin said...

Oh noo!!! :( :( Poor Ryan!
Croup stinks... I used to get it as a kid and it's SO scary to have that feeling like you can't breathe. Hope he is feeling better soon! These preschool germs are really annoying!!!!

Erin said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm up dealing with a sick Callie. She has had a fever for 3 days now. I hope Ryan is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy. I hope that he's feeling better and that you all got to sleep in your own rooms last night!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh! What an ordeal. Hopefully you can get some rest & Ryan feels better soon.