Lily and I played Candyland yesterday while Ryan was at school. I got out the board and asked, what color Lily wanted to be. She picked red. She always picks red unless there is a purple or pink option, then she really has a choice. I picked blue. She took it off the board and put it back in the box. "You can't be blue. Ryan is blue. You can be yellow."
"Ryan is not here and I want to be blue." I put the blue back on the board.
"Ryan is blue! You can be yellow or green." Lily puts blue back in the box.
"Ryan is at school. He is not playing and I want to be blue."
"Ryan is blue. You can be Yellow or green or red."
"Okay, I'll be red."
::gasp:: "Nooooooooo!"
"Okay, I'll be blue"
"Okay."
(You may think that arguing over color with a 2 year old is silly and that's your right. I, however, would like to teach my children they do not always get their way when they are playing with me so they might remember it when playing with other children. I posted this because it amuses me not to start a debate on parenting style.)



1 comment:
I do this with my girls, too. It makes Callie see she can't always get her way (which is the point) like you said. Avery, eh, not so much. She often just whines and fusses about not getting her way (but I want the candy cane in YOUR HAND). But I never give in...one of these days she'll understand.
Post a Comment