Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 02, 2006

One of those times...

I believe this is one of those stretches of time God gives us to remind us how wonderful our blessings are. Erin, you had no idea how your comment would strike me at the time, but I read it after this afternoon's events. Wait to you hear this...

Zach broke his arm at school today. I guess he didn't want to be left out of the super sicky club anymore. There are a few questions that tend to follow that sort of statement, so I'll hit the highlights for you.

How did it happen? He went to jump off the swing and his shirt sleeve got caught on the chain. The shirt sleeve was ripped, so it must have been good and stuck on there. He landed on his arm.

Is it bad? Uh, yeah. Both bones in his forearm are broken. One is a displaced fracture (meaning the two ends that were connected no longer meet) and one is an angular fracture (the bone is broken all the way through, but the ends meet to form an angle- In his case I'd guess maybe a 120* angle, though I may be exaggerating it in my memory). I only saw the x-ray, but Jay saw his arm and said it was shaped like an 'S'. He only has a temporary cast on now. When the swelling goes down they will have to set the bones under an x-ray machine.

How is he now? By all accounts he seems pretty good considering. He is excited about all the extra TV he will get to watch. I believe the exact quote was "YAY! More TV!" He has some pretty good pain medication.

Did I cover all your questions?

Well, I don't want to leave you all depressed so I'll share some notes Jay found from Zach's classmates when he went to pick up his backpack. Just a few of my favorites.



Notice the green cast and the pen ready in his hand.

One of Jay's favorites.

There were quite a few of the swing with a slash drawings. I guess that 'say no to drugs' training is pretty memorable.





This is one note front, middle and back.




**You can click on the picture to make it bigger if you can't read these**

9 comments:

Joan S. said...

LOVE the notes from the other kids at school -- I also love that the teacher took time to have the kids write them.

Speedy recovery, Zach! Love you.

~Grandma

Mari said...

First, sorry to hear about Zach...Second, those are the most hilarious letters I've seen in a long time! Much better to save those than the cast once it's removed and stinky!

Kim said...

Poor Zach!!
Hope he's ok. My boyfriend broke his arm the other day too, playing football.
The letters from the other kids are realy sweet!!
Hope you're all feeling better from being sick and all.
xx

Erin said...

Poor Zach! :(

But the notes? They are priceless! Though, if I were Zach, I want to smack the "told you so" kid who wrote the bottom note. LOL!

Do post some cast pics soon!

Mrs. Flinger said...

Sorry about the arm! I'm glad he's doing better. Those picture are adorable and hilarious all at the same time. I jsut love them.

Erin said...

You gotta love those "get well" cards from Zach's class. Of course they are all-knowing experts on not jumping off the swings! I am praying Zach heals quickly. Can't wait to see cast pics.

One Tweet Thing said...

Poor Zach...give him some extra ice cream from me!

Katie said...

Another milestone for Zach I guess. We really hope he is feeling better soon and that his arm heals properly. I can sympathize. I broke my arm when I was about 5 years old.

Heidi said...

Ouch! Hope he isn't in alot of pain! And that he heals quickly!