A question I've heard more than once this week. Well, we had a weekend getaway with Jay's family. We went to this great place in Lancaster called Willow Valley. I didn't touch the computer the whole weekend! The funny part is I didn't miss it. It was a nice weekend. We rode the train at the Strasburg Railroad. Ryan, train lover that he is, cried. He was scared by the noise the steam made. He calmed down on the train(after a while) and remembers the trains fondly. Poor kid is going to be scarred for life. We took him to the air show the weekend before last and he was traumatized by the loud noise of the jets. Man I hope this passes. Anyway, back to vacation... We had some fun on the playground, took a nice hike and played in the swimming pool. Ryan even went down the frog slide and Zach worked on his swimming with Aunt Bee. On the way home we played mini-golf at this really great course. Just a tip for those with children if they offer a 23 hole course DO NOT DO IT. It was really fun until about hole 17 though ;-) All in all great vacation and good family time.
Then came Tuesday [insert a foreboding 'dun-dun-dun' here]. Jay woke up with a sore throat and I was sore all over by the afternoon. I mean every muscle in my body hurt. From my hair follicles to the soles of my feet. I could barely move. Then came the fever and sweats. 102.8 while on Motrin. I went to the doctor, it turns out I have an infection. Let's just say sports bra+nursing mom=bad idea. It baffles me that I had muscle aches all over because of an infection in one little part of my body. I mean I understand the fever and even the chills and sweats because my body was trying to fight the infection, but flu symptoms including headache? What's up with that? (Christina?) Jay got his sore throat checked. It's strep. Mean while Ryan is waking up several times a night sweating. I thought he was just hot the first night. It's not uncommon for him to pile himself with blankets and he said nothing hurt. The second night I checked his temperature 101. I took him to the doctor this morning. He has strep too. We gave him his antibiotic as soon as we got it, but he still woke up from his nap crying inconsolably. He managed to tell me he had 'burning in his mouth'. Poor kid. when I told him the Tylenol we had been trying to get him to take would make his mouth feel better he finally agreed. I guess he didn't hear me say it would make him feel better the first million times because he was too busy screaming at me. It has been a very hard few days. The good news is we are all on antibiotics now and things should be better soon.



6 comments:
Oh no, how awful! It sounds like you were *really* miserable, and having Ryan and Jay sick on top of it is not helpful. Poor Ryan! 'Burning in his mouth.' What a great description of strep throat.
I, too, hope he gets over his fear/dislike of loud noise. Air shows and trains are some of the most fun things to do! I wouldn't have thought to tell him ahead of time that the train might be loud...did you? He can be so reasonable when he understands something, as you experienced with the Tylenol.
I hope everybody is feeling better soon. Love you.
Hope you all are feeling much better very soon!
I'm sorry you are sick. :(
The ache-y-ness comes from a hyper-activated immune system - its not the smartest of our body systems.
Have you thought about buying those squishy yellow earbuds or even better real earplugs for Ryan? Adults' hearing has been so damaged over the years that we don't really understand how loud it is for little kids without the hearing loss yet. The squishy yellow ones you can put in your purse.
Hope you guys get better fast!
We were looking for ear plugs because we heard you could buy them there, but we didn't find them in time:-( By the time we got some he was too traumatized to watch, so we spent most of the show in the hangers, but they had some stuff in there too.
My goodness, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this! I hope you are all getting better quickly.
Post a Comment