hmmm, that just doesn't sound right. Oh well.
We met Erin and Ben at the cool playground this morning. We were the only ones there. The weather report said 60s and sunny. A great day to spend at the playground, no? No. It was foggy, but I thought the fog would burn off in the sun. No such luck. After both boys slid down the slide we realized the slides were all wet as were their pants. It was not as warm as I thought it would be either. It was 47 when we got out of the car. After about 45 minutes of playing I noticed Ryan was practically shivering and fussing a bit. He held his hands out for me to look at and gave me a pained look. I asked if he was ready to go home and he said, "Y-yes." Given this came from the boy who has never ever suggested or even hinted at leaving the playground of his own accord I knew he was miserable. We invited Erin and Ben back to our house and offered dry pants for Ben. I was actually surprised they accepted(no offense Erin). I was happy that we wouldn't be cutting our play date short. I actually had not thought about the state of my house when I asked them to come. Luckily the play room was not in as bad a shape as the rest of the house and we spent our time together there. The boys had lots of fun playing with just about every toy we have down there. Dr. Ryan examined a somewhat dubious, but fairly willing Ben. I have to teach him not to cut off people's tonsils with the scalpel. I guess that was the closest thing he could find to a tongue depressor. Ben seemed to really like Ryan's Hess trucks. Lily did her little baby thing and offered lots of big smiles. When it was time for our friends to go Ben wanted to stay and he made that pretty evident. It actually made me feel good that he had a good time. Ryan didn't want Ben to leave either. He told me after they left, but it was pretty evident by his body language and the big sad face he was wearing. I said they could come back and play another time and he suggested tomorrow. It's nice to see them wanting to be with each other. They started having play dates when they were just little bits that were on the floor in proximity to each other when a "play date" was more of an excuse for their mommies to have adult contact during the day. Gradually they started doing more things and even noticing each other. Now I think they really are the best friends Erin and I preordained them to be when we started all this baby stuff.
Soon we will get to start the Lily/ baby human too friendship:-) I can't wait! I know I should play favorites, but I hope it's a girl and they are best friends through their whole lives. That would be so cool. I didn't really get the opportunity to have a friendship that lasted my whole life being an Air Force brat. I always thought those kinds of friendships were so cool. At least I found Erin in my early adult life:-)
needed more words
*****Note to add that blogger is stupid and ruined all the hard work I did linking to tons of playdate pictures from my blog and Erin's. It combined linked words and erased the old links. I am far too tired and annoyed to fix it now, but I might check what links survived and try to make sure the highlights were hit.****



2 comments:
What a nice post! The links that are there were fun to check out. I love it that the boys actually *are* the friends their mothers hoped they would be. I've seen Ryan's eyes light up when you mention 'Friend Ben' (remember the song?) and it is just so sweet...
We had so much fun! :) I think impromptu playdates are the best! :)
Um yeah, and Ben DEFINITELY wants to come back... he did finally stop crying by the time we got to the end of your community but SHEESH.
It's too bad Lily and Baby Too are going to be a year or so apart. It'll take longer to get them playing together. Though ultimately, I know a year is NOTHING. The "original" Baby Too would have been exactly seven months younger, just like Ben and Ryan. :(
Post a Comment