Tuesday, June 12, 2007
The Pink and Purple Rule
Apparently I need to dress Lily in massive amounts of pink or purple every day to avoid the annoyance of people thinking she is a boy. The other day she was in a white polo with a small pink apple and khaki shorts(girl short, not long like boy shorts). Jay came home and told me she was dressed like a boy. In the parking lot at a store this older lady said, "What a cute little fellow." When Ryan got out of the car she said, "Oh you have two. They are so cute." So I know she was talking about Lily with that fellow comment. She was wearing a white floppy hat with a pink rim and a light pink shirt. I guess this is one of the perils of having a baldy baby. Though I'm sure the benefits (no major brushing, no need for hair cuts until she can understand, etc.) outweigh the downfalls it's still very annoying to hear people call your beautiful toddler girl a boy. It was one thing when the nurse at the hospital said Ryan was too beautiful to be a boy. He was just born. Lily is 14 months and starting to understand language. Hopefully she will develop longer locks soon and I will be able to dress her in a larger variety of colors. Don't get me wrong, I do like the pink and purple. I just would like more options. My mom just gave her a green one piece dress with flowers that should help. I guess for now we are limited to dresses and girlie colors.



6 comments:
Ha! I had the same issues when you were a toddler. You could be wearing a dress with little lacy socks and mary janes, but because the dress was blue I heard "Isn't HE cute?" People just don't think...
Rest assured, Lily is a beautiful girl even without the long locks.
I don't know why, but I also hate it so when people get the boys' genders wrong. I dressed Jacob in a purple polo shirt and took him to the park, and with his long locks and huge blue eyes EVERYONE called him a girl. And I hit no one! I was so proud of myself.
If it makes you feel better, *I* would not mistake your beautiful bald girl for a boy. She is terribly lovely.
Don't feel bad. I had three people call Simon a girl this week. And everything he owns is blue!
I'll make you a tshirt if you want that will clear things up. ;)
LOL. Thanks everyone, at least I'm in good company:-)
I get people telling me what cute boys I have all the time. And Callie's favorite color is PINK! But you know what? I either say, "Oh, thanks" and go on about my business, or I say, "Thanks, she's a joy" or something like that and they can figure it out on their own. I always say it nicely of course, even when I want to yell BOY? ARE YOU BLIND? SHE'S WEARING PINK FLOWERS! But I restrain myself. I feel your pain, believe me.
I try not to comment on gender if I am not certain, and even then I hold my breath and pray that I am right! My little girl had very bad hair (bald would have been better, honestly) until she was about 15 months old. At 27 months it is now past her shoulders, naturally "highlighted", and has just a touch of natural care. She deserves good hair!
Post a Comment