Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The First Pre-school Drop Off

Today was Ryan's first day at Preschool by himself. Yesterday we went together and we spent about an hour with half of his class and their parents. They had some free time, then circle time and a craft that we helped them with yesterday.

Ryan has afternoon preschool, so we had Coffee Break this morning then came home for lunch and went to drop him off. I brought my camera (of course!) I can't believe I was the only one. Oh well, I'm not going to miss having a starting preschool scrapbook page just because I'm the only nerd with a camera! One other person had a camera yesterday. Maybe all those kids went to pre-school at 3 years old too so their parents didn't think it was a big deal. It was a big deal to me. ANYWAY, today was much less involved for me. We waited outside the door with the rest of the class until the teacher came and opened the door. I gave Ryan a kiss and he walked in to his classroom stopping to give me a big "cheese" smile in the doorway. Lily and I started to leave and guess who started crying...Lily! I never thought to prepare her for taking Ryan somewhere and leaving him behind. As we walked away she cried and said, "Where Yai-ya?!" [translation- Where's Ryan?!] "Wan Yai-ya!" [I want Ryan!] As we walked out the the car I explained to her that Ryan was going to preschool. We would leave Ryan at preschool. Lily and Mommy would go home and then we would come back and pick Ryan up. Amazingly enough she stopped crying. I totally expected her to fall asleep in the car because it was nap time, but no dice. So we did our normal nap time routine. I put her in her crib and finished her songs. She was still, so I started to walk out. She popped up on her elbow, waved with her other hand and said, "DYE-dye! Dye-dye!" Somehow I actually took this as a good sign, maybe because she was smiling. A couple minutes later I hear a very distressed sounding "MAMA! MAMA!" I found her straddling her side rail with a mixed look of terror and pride. ::Sigh:: By this time I figured she wasn't going to get a full nap anyway since Ryan had a short day, so I let her stay up. I'm hoping that wasn't a mistake. I changed a load of wash, talked to the contractor, tried to pick out a carpet color and paint color for the family room and checked out the progress on our bedroom color. Then it was time to pick up Ryan. Lily and I waited patiently in that same hallway for the kids to be dismissed from class. Ryan was called to come second. He seemed to take a while, but had a huge grin on his face when he finally appeared. He came out and threw his arms around me. I asked how preschool was and he said it was good.

It was drizzling, so we got his Diego umbrella out of his backpack to walk the 10 yards to the car. It wasn't really necessary, but it makes him feel cool. In the car I asked what he did today. He said he played with trains and drew a picture of himself and that's it. I probed him a little more and he added that he played in the kitchen. I asked if he had circle time and he said, "Yeah, but it was boring. They just talked for a long time." I could almost feel his eyes rolling from the front seat. I asked if he had a story in circle time and he said, "No. It was boring. They just talked." I asked if he listened to what they said and he said "Yes, but it was boring." I asked if they did the weather for the day and he perked up a tiny bit and said they put up a rain cloud. I'm thinking he is not a big fan of circle time. I asked if they did a craft and he said they just drew pictures of themselves. Then he giggled and said he called his picture of himself "Rockman" because he drew it like a rock. I'm not sure what that means, but he seemed amused. I asked if he was ready to go back tomorrow and he said, "No." At first I was surprised because he seemed like he had fun and he said he liked it earlier. I understood as he continued, "because circle time was so boring." I pointed out all the other things that were fun and he changed his tune.

I guess he has forgotten about the dreaded circle time by now because I just asked if he was ready to go back to school tomorrow and he jumped up and exclaimed, "YES!" Ah, the mind of a 4 year old.
Pictures from the day:
Come on mom! Let's go in.
Down the hallway to his classroom.


In front of the classroom.

Going in.
Too bad the focus is so bad because this is a cute picture of him saying cheese for me (I didn't ask, he just said it) as he went in to his classroom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Auntie Linda thinks he is way too cute for words!

Claire said...

I heart the Cars backpack! Sounds like he had a good day! Well, except for that boring ol' circle time, anyway...

Anonymous said...

Awww. How sweet is Lily? And how grown up is Ryan! He looks so pleased in those pictures! I hope EVERY school day brings such happy smiles!