Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Hot and Tired

This morning I took the boys to a corn maze near our house. We also bought some mums for the front garden and a couple spooky pumpkins to paint. After we loaded our goodies in the car we hit the maze. It started off well. I let Zach be the leader. After a few times choosing where to go Ryan showed interest in which direction we should take. So Zach and Ryan took turns choosing which way to go. After about half an hour it started getting pretty hot. Ryan decided his legs no longer worked. Smart mommy brought her new sling. Yea, that lasted about 15 minutes. He wanted out of the sling, but still didn't want to walk. By now it had been about an hour since we started the maze. We were all getting hot and tired, so we found a wide place in the maze. We sat down and had a little snack and some drinks. After our break I knew we needed to finish soon. Ryan was getting tired and was starting to fuss. I decided I'd better take over the directions when I thought it necessary. I still let Zach make some choices, but when I really felt like we should go a certain way I just went that way, no stopping to ask which way he thought was best. After about 15 minutes we found the exit and not a moment too soon. My legs were beginning to feel like rubber and we were all sweaty. We never found 3 of the stations that have raised pictures that you use to rub a picture on your paper. Zach didn't even ask to go back and find them(that's how I knew he was really wiped). Last year we didn't find one and he wanted to go back and look for it. We ended up getting lost when we went back in(sad, huh). This year he didn't even flinch. He just headed for the car and asked for more to water. Did I mention that it was hot...really hot! I checked the thermometer when we got in the car. It said 91*, but the heat index had to be higher than that and very little breeze got through that corn. I'm glad we did it and we did have fun, but I am very thankful to be in the air conditioning now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A corn maize...get it? Sorry, had to, its an illness...

Sounds like a good time. Also sounds like you handles things very well and I think you did the right thing when you took over to get out in a timely fashion. Pumpkins already? Its not even October!

Erin said...

Wow... you are ambitious! How did the mums fare in the hot car, btw? ;)

Periwinkle Jen said...

Mom- Yes, pumpkins already. The kids were way into the pumpkins. Ryan even said, "I want pumpkin." How could I resist?! I asked the guy who works there if a pumpkin would last until Halloween. He said it might if I keep it in the shade. Then he pointed out the 'spooky pumpkins' which are smaller and roundish. He said they would probably last until Easter. So we got a couple to paint. We will get one or two to carve in October.
Erin- the mums did fine. They are really pretty. And you think that's ambitious...I took them to Chuck E. Cheese's for dinner by myself!

Erin said...

wow! You must have been so tired last night!!!

Anonymous said...

Boy, you ARE feeling better!