Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

When will I learn...

that my little Ryan is *not* a spectator? He wants to be in on the action. He can't just stand by and watch while something happens in front of him. He needs to get right in there, no matter what it is. I re-learned this lesson this evening when I tried to water the flowers in the front garden. They were in desperate need of water. I asked Zach if he wanted to help me. So the three of us went out front and I started watering. Ryan was holding on to the hose right near me "helping". I guess he decided that helping was not enough action, so he started trying to touch the water. I managed to keep the stream away from him for a while. I even told Zach that I would have to do the watering until Ryan stopped trying to get in the water because I was afraid he would accidentally get wet. I didn't think it would be that hard to keep a child from getting wet with a hose. He managed to get the back of his head right in the water as I tried to dodge him. I thought "He sure got a shock, that water is cold. He won't try that again." I was wrong. He did it again, and again, and again! I gave up trying to keep him out after the second time he got his head soaked. He didn't seem to mind that the water was freezing, the air was cool and the sun was behind the clouds. I told Zach he could get wet if he wanted to. He went through the stream a couple times. He seemed to think it was fun too. I guess sometimes I'm going to have to let loose a little bit and just have some fun with my kids that doesn't make sense to me. They sure were having a good time and no real harm came from it. They weren't wet for long...as soon as we were done I took off Ryan's wet clothes, got him inside and wrapped him in a towel. He is now in warm jammies and doesn't seem any worse for his cool shower. Zach just changed into dry clothes and went to play with the neighbors.
It's so hard to let them do things like that! I think I might be a little tightly wound!

4 comments:

Erin said...

we had a very similar experience over here today! ;)

Anonymous said...

You're right--loosen up! Have fun with your kids-that's what they are for! Love you,

Mrs. Flinger said...

Your Mom sounds like my mom. :-) It's ok.. all is well. But I'm right there with ya!

Heidi said...

Sounds like a good time for the kids, but I think the same way, even though they are only daycare kids. Guess we will just have to loosen up together lol!