Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy Day Off

Hm, what do you do to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day. There are no presents, no fireworks, no ceremonies. It's just basically a day off school and work. I guess it's kind of like President's Day that way. Don't get me wrong, I think Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man who did great things for this country and his life is worth celebrating as are the lives of our founding fathers. It just seems like no one really celebrates MLK Jr. or the presidents on their holidays. They do provide a nice break and long weekend during a time when it seems very useful. I feel like I should do something, but I'm not sure what is fitting.

Thanks Dr. King for changing our country for the better and doing it in a peaceful way.

5 comments:

Joan S. said...

Here in Sumter, the is a 'Dream Walk' -- 3 1/2 miles beginning at the Nettles Building on the USC campus...but I don't know what the walk DOES. Are there 'learning stations' to show us the life of Dr. King? Or does one simply walk?
I think I preferred it when the kids used the day in school to learn about Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement.

Erin said...

We celebrated by eating lunch at Red Robin. :D

One Tweet Thing said...

MIT has a lovely MLK breakfast and invites a big name speaker every year and they give awards and such. But since MLK Day is during January term, they do the breakfast next month when regular classes are in session. :)

Erin said...

Hee... neither was our Red Robin lunch. But I thought I'd throw it out there. ;)

Periwinkle Jen said...

I watched a 30 minute biography to celebrate:-) I saw some cool things in the news too. People weeding parks, picking up trash and stuff like that to help brighten up communities.