Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Another Weekend Says "Bye-bye"

Too bad:-( I like weekends. I have to tell this story from the bus stop this morning. I don't know whether to call it cute or sad. You can judge for yourself. There is a quite active boy that goes to the same bus stop as Zach. He likes to make faces at Ryan. It's a little unnerving sometimes because he gets really close to Ryan's face. Today started like most. I was holding Ryan and he got up in Ryan's face and started making faces and dancing around. Ryan thinks this is hilarious. Fits of giggles turn into squirming and I put him down on the sidewalk. The active boy takes this as a cue to kick it up a notch. He is now dancing like a monkey. Ryan starts copying him. These two are having a great time, but Zach has his back to the action and seems a bit sullen. I tried to get him to join in the fun by suggesting he show Ryan some of his dance moves so Ryan could copy him. He turns to me with a pitiful look and says, "I don't think Ryan knows I'm his brother." Suppressing a laugh and feeling sad for this little heartbroken 6 year old, I reassured him that Ryan does know that Zach is his brother. I reminded him that yesterday when he came home from a weekend away as soon as Ryan saw him he gave him a big hug long hug. [Here is how the hug went: Ryan reached up and pulled Zach down. He wrapped his arms around Zach's neck and rested his head on Zach's shoulder and didn't let go for about a minute.(such an adorable brother moment!) but, I digress] I told him that Ryan loves him and he knows that they are brothers, but that doesn't mean he can't have fun with other people. I think what helped really hammer it home is when I asked if Zach knew Ryan was his brother and then asked if he liked to hang out with the neighborhood kids. He of course said yes to both questions. Then I asked him if he thought the boy at the bus stop was his brother and he laughed. We agreed that he and Ryan could play with other kids, but that they would still know that they are brothers. Then the bus came, Ryan and I waved good-bye to brother Zach and walked home. It's amazing the thoughts that go through those little heads!

4 comments:

Erin said...

You have a special knack for explaining things in little kid terms... you tell stories like this about talking to Zach all the time and I'm always impressed... :)When we have to explain to Ben that he has a sibling coming at some point, I'm totally dragging you over here to talk to him. ;)

Anonymous said...

Awwww! Its sad and cute at the same time! I think it is very sweet tht Zachary wants to be a special part of Ryan's life.
I agree with Erin--you explain things in just the right way that Zach can understand. You're a really good Mom. I hope you get that from me!
I love you!

Anonymous said...

That is very sweet. Its cool to hear these stories which illustrate the boys deep care for one another- And I know Zach and Ryan will look back one day and be thankful that they had a mom who was sensitive to their feelings and helped explain things in a way they could really understand. AUNT BEE

Periwinkle Jen said...

Erin-I'll have my explanation ready by June;-)