I was responding to this comment in the comment section, but it seemed to turn into more of a post.
Erin said...
'I can not even imagine this day ever coming for us. Nor can I imagine Ben just eating a bowl of Cheerios and not baby mush. I also can not imagine said bowl of Cheerios not being tossed everywhere. How do you get him to do these things? I feel like I must be missing something...'
My response:
Ryan is older. Trust me the not throwing stuff everywhere is a new development! He still does throw stuff from his high chair when he is done eating or when he thinks Daisy look hungry. Maybe if he is able to just get up when he is done that will stop?
I've been letting him have a bowl of goldfish, pretzels or something like that and a spill proof cup at the coffee table for snack for a few weeks now. He's been doing great with that. At first I would sit behind him and hold the bowl. Then I would leave the bowl alone until he tried to turn it over...Then I would grab it, say 'no' and put it back down nicely. I would tell him 'This is what we do' as I did it. I believe in showing him what to do instead of just telling him what NOT to do. Now I just give him the bowl in the kitchen and he carries it out and sets it on the table himself. He has also been putting his drinks on tables sometimes he even uses a coaster! We still tell him 'good job' or 'Yay!' when he does:-) He says 'Yay!' for himself when he does something he is proud of now:-)
It's funny because I was reading about what Ben does with Elmo's song and thinking Ryan only barely sings along with stuff now. I was marveling at how smart and advanced Ben is...maybe we can start a mutual admiration society;-)



3 comments:
Oooh, I LOVE mutual admiration societies! Can I play? :-)
No, really, BOTH of your boys are amazing. I LOVE hearing what each one is up to and seeing what lies ahead. They are all different individuals and it's great to see where one baby pics up something versus another one. In the end, we all end up adults and have to pay bills so I think I'll start throwing my cherios, too. All the cool kids do it. ;-)
(I LOVED that "or if he thinks Daisy is hungry") LOL
I like that Jen went first with a nice 7-month head start. It's often very helpful, like having my own live version of "What to Expect the First Year." I can call her and be like,
"Was Ryan doing blah blah at such and such month?" Then again, she rarely remembers because she's the most laid back mommy I've ever met.
Like this one...
Me: "When did you start giving Ryan ricecakes?" Jen: "Uhh... I dunno...can't really remember. I just gave him one one day"
Me: "Well, I remember being at your house when Ben was two months old, so that would have made Ryan like 9 months... and he had a rice cake then."
Jen: "Soo... probably somewhere around 9 months."
LOL. ;)
He was 7 months and two weeks old when he had his first rice cake as evidenced by the April 2004 album. So there;-P I can not remember dates to save my life. This is why I love my digital camera so much. I take the pictures of the first everything and it keeps the date for me:-) His first rice cake was April 13, 2004. Coincidentally the day we could actually see his first tooth(or at least the first day we could get a picture and it would show up;-)
Leslie- Of course! LB is adorable! She is getting to the age where she will start to do lots of things fast. It's going to be exciting to watch her discover the world! I love her little laugh:-)
Post a Comment