Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 11, 2005

Valentine's Day Dilemma

What do you get a guy for Valentine's Day?! I probably should not write this on my blog since I know Jay reads it just about every day. I'm really stuck. Candy just doesn't seem to do it. I'm usually fairly creative about these things, but I've been sick. I also haven't been sleeping well, so I'm tired and my brain functions are not quite up to par. I got the boys' gifts today. Candy for Zach because, well, he loves candy. Since Ryan was with me he kind of picked out his own gift. We were going down the Valentine aisle and he saw some bears. He got this really excited look on his face and said, "bea, bea!" I showed him a couple different bears to see his reaction. He really liked this white one with pastel colored hearts all over it that look like the conversation hearts you always see at Valentine's. Most of the bears had some sort of pink or purple. Ultimately I decided to go with a soft brown bear with chocolates in his hands even though Ryan doesn't eat chocolate yet. It was really the only non-feminine bear they had. I knew Jay would be happier with the decision and really, as much as I try to be a neutral mom that doesn't get up tight when her boys play with dolls, I felt better with the brown bear too:-) Really it was my favorite from the beginning. It's so soft and cute!

I feel a little more pressure this year about Jay's gift in part because I know he has actually thought about it at least a little. I know this because the past few days he has been leaving little hearts for me to find. I've found them on my pillow, near the shower, on the car door and this morning I found these in front of the tooth paste. He is even making sure to leave the ones with just the right message.
Isn't he sweet?! Posted by Hello

Since he has actually remembered before the day of I don't know what to expect. I'm not expecting anything big and I'll be happy if he just says "Happy Valentine's Day, I love you." and spends a little couch cuddling time with me. BUT if he does more I don't want him to feel like I didn't do as much for him. I don't want him to feel neglected. Any ideas for male Valentines?!

5 comments:

One Tweet Thing said...

Well Dave has mentioned that he would like to be the one receiving candy and flowers once in a while. :)

But he's not getting them anyway (well, maybe chocolate). I'm getting him a couple of those pj bottoms he loves to lounge around in - mostly because I keep stealing his and he keeps running out before laundry day.

I love the hearts by the way - Jay, you are just too sweet.

Katie said...

I've given L boxers as a Valentine gift. Another big hit with L is when I make a nice dinner and we enjoy a nice glass of wine together. The second option is harder to do with kids, but maybe you could have a nice dessert or a nightcap after the boys go to sleep? Chocolate covered strawberries? Guys always love to eat.

Anonymous said...

i don't really get valentines, so i have nothing to judge by, but you can really never go wrong with the food angle ;)

uncle ben

Anonymous said...

i don't really get valentines, so i have nothing to judge by, but you can really never go wrong with the food angle ;)

uncle ben

Periwinkle Jen said...

Welcome back, Mom! Did you have a good trip?!
Wow this is a new comment format since yesterday! I like that you can read other people's comments while you are writing yours.