Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Disconcerting Day

Yesterday was a disconcerting day for me. I sit down to watch my TiVoed Dr Phil, it's called 'Alternative treatments for ADD'. I almost didn't watch. I thought 'this doesn't apply to me, Zach doesn't have ADD'. I decided to watch anyway because I find psychology so interesting(all you people out there making fun of me for watching a TV shrink and thinking it's interesting :-P ... that's all I have to say!) I am at home with an 18 month old...it's the only adult thinking I do all day! I think Dr Phil is smart and gives a lot of good advice. Most of it I already know, but it's good to feel supported in your opinions.
Wow, I really got side tracked defending my addiction to Dr Phil! As I was saying the show was about ADD. I thought it would be all about kids, but he started talking about his next guest. He asked questions like:
Do you get to the top of the steps and forget why you are there? Do you show up late? Do you wait until the last minute to do things? You may have adult ADD.

Here is a quote from the guest he was introducing:

"I am miserable and I'm making my family miserable because of my ADD," says 33-year-old Kat who's a stay-at-home mom. "I will start a project and never finish it, and I will leave things to the last minute." Kat makes lists of things to do, but she rarely follows through. "My husband will ask me to make a bank deposit and three days later, it still hasn't been done. I let laundry pile up. I will put dishes in the sink to leave for later, and later never seems to come." When Kat throws birthday parties for her kids, they are often a month late because she never sends the invitations out in a timely manner.Kat also has a problem making decisions. "I have stacks and stacks of stuff that needs to be returned, but I tend to procrastinate when it comes time to return it," she explains. In order for Kat to be punctual, she must set her clocks fast. "I literally have to trick myself to be on time. It's almost something that I don't have control over."

Um...That's ME! Well, except for the being miserable and making my family miserable part I hope. Now I'm wondering if I have ADD. Oh boy, that's just what I need.
Just in case you were wondering...my hypochondriac side comes up now and then and I have to logic my way out of it. I am able to concentrate on things, so I'm pretty sure I don't have ADD. It's just weird how much I have in common with this woman!

No comments: