Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Memorial Day in Washington DC

Our trip to DC was fun. It was a long day, but it was fun. We started with a walk through an art garden. I just don't get modern art. There were a few things that were cool. A sculpture with spinning cubes and a house that changes perspective although our resident artist, Benjamin, had to ruin it by pointing out that the window sills wouldn't be visible if it was coming toward us;-P It was still cool. The garden was beautiful and the fountain in the middle was pretty too. It had a duck ramp for the ducks to walk up over the wall. Last time I checked ducks could fly, so they really wouldn't have a problem getting over a 1 foot wall into a fountain if the really wanted to. I guess it's really for baby ducks, but it is funny. Then we headed over to the Mall. We went to the Air and Space Museum. Zach wants to explore the universe now. Ryan didn't like the space part as much as he liked pulling his stroller shade down and playing peek-a-boo with me and his Uncle Ben. But he really lit up when we went to the air plane side. "Plane, plane, plane" It was kind of like going down the road next to a forest and Ryan pointing out every tree. He actually seemed excited about each one. He liked reading the letters and numbers on the sides and wings of the planes. Jay got super excited about the air craft carrier model. Maybe one day someone we know who has access to such things could take him to a navy base so he can actually get on a carrier or at least see one up close. I'm really excited about the idea of taking Ryan to an air show now. He was so excited just looking at the planes. Maybe if we are ever in the area we could see a space shuttle launch or land for Zach...this I think is a little less likely, but we can always think about it. We wanted to go to the National Zoo, but it started raining, so we settled for stuffed animals at the Museum of Natural History. We saw the dinosaur wing and the mammal wing. Then we got hungry, so we went to the only other place I know to eat in the Mall...the cafeteria in the American History Museum. It had closed at 4. What's up with that?! So we had a snack to tide us over and then looked at the science area of the museum for Ben. I would have chosen the TV section, but we didn't have time. I also like to look at the old toys, but I end up feeling old because they have toys I played with when I was a kid in there. I'm guessing they now have toys I played with as a teen- Pogo ball, Skip Stick, etc. I wonder if they have Atari and Nintendo 64? I guess we'll have to plan another trip to see because the museums closed and we hit the Metro to go home. It doesn't really sound like a long day, does it? Hmmm...it seemed like it at the time!

Here are some pictures from our day in the capitol.
Washington DC trip Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got in a lot if stuff for one day! Those kids of yours are sure being exposed to a lot of culture--the Louvre Musuem, The Air and Space Museum, The Museum of Natural History....I hope they grow to love the adventure of museums and travel. Sounds like a great day. Love you.

One Tweet Thing said...

You might not remember, but I have pictures of Shelby, Andrew, you and me in/behind that house in the art garden. One's framed right behind me.

:)

Periwinkle Jen said...

I remember the house from then...I didn't remember the garden or actually taking the picture. I'd like to see it though:-)

Heidi said...

Wow! You were busy busy busy!