Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, October 17, 2005

Laps for Learning

Zach's school has an interesting new fund raising idea. It's along the lines of the MS Walk. Zach gets pledges to jog/walk around the track at his school as many times as he can in 45 minutes. Other parents seem to be excited about the idea because they don't have to sell anything. The school is excited because the get 100% of the profits. I'm not sure what I think. I've never been very good at asking people for money, especially when they don't get anything for the money. I walked the MS Walk in high school and I put up the entry fee myself. I didn't ask a soul to sponsor me. Lame, I know. I did want to contribute, but I just didn't know how to ask people for money. I guess I am a horrible fund raiser. It's funny because I was in charge of fundraising at my old job. I was good at finding things for other people to sell/do to raise money. It's just the selling I have a problem with I guess.
So what do you think? Good or bad idea for a fund raiser?

5 comments:

Erin said...

Fundraising just sucks in general, I think. And to make the kids walk for money for their school? Sorta seems a bit like exploitation... child labor and whatnot. LOL.

Eeps.

Hey, I'm finished being a hermit and have successfully recovered from my long weekend... if you want to do something later this week. :)

Anonymous said...

I am with Erin, as much as selling stuff is a pain at least you have something to offer. Plus, making the poor kids keep running for 45 minutes? I just don't know! I have such a problem with authority I know I will be biting my tongue daily when beaux and bella are in school!

snarflemarfle said...

I know asking people for money sucks sometimes (and what's my job? professional fundraiser). Not everyone needs to get a physical something in return. Lots of people give because it makes them feel good.

The school should have a good "case" statment for what the money's going to and you can tell people that. Supplies so the kids can color, software to teach them typing skills, etc. Be sure to let them know how the "donor" will be helping the kids. Oh, and if you really think you need to give the people that donate to Zach, have Zach "write" a thank you note saying how far he went, what fun he had, and how excited he's going to be to get to use new crayons, software, chairs, etc.

Periwinkle Jen said...

Good ideas Snarfle, thanks:-)

Anonymous said...

OK, I like Snarfle's way of thinking. I understand Erin's point about getting nothing for your inverstment, but I also recall numerous fundraisers selling stuff I had no need or desire for, but I wanted to contribute to the cause...so I ended up with stuff I don't need. This fundraiser allows people to support the kids without the junk!

I have to admit that I sometimes love the junk, though. (Girl Scout Cookies! YES!)