Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 06, 2006

Name Experiments of a Toddler

Ryan has been experimenting with what he calls me. Frankly I don't know where half of the names come from. I know he gets Mom from when people refer to me as his mom. He has tried Jen, he knows now he shouldn't call me that, but every once in a while with a little impish glint in his eye he will try again. Then he started calling me dear, he got this one from Daddy. It's actually pretty cute. I wasn't sure at first if I should let him call me that, but then I thought, 'I call him little pet names, why shouldn't he be able to call me a pet name or two?' So, I usually respond to him with sweetie when he calls me dear so he will understand that it is a pet name. The latest experimental name is mama. I have no idea where that came from. I've never liked the idea of being called mama, but it's not so bad when he says it. I still prefer mommy over all these, but his experimenting is interesting. I hope he comes back to mommy in the end. I love being mommy :-)

8 comments:

Erin said...

I wonder if he got that one from Ben the other night. Ben has taken to calling me Mama (though it's not my favorite either).

Periwinkle Jen said...

I bet you are right! He loves to copy other toddler's words/sounds. I didn't even think of that.
I was never able to pinpoint when he heard Jay call me dear either, but I'm prety sure that's where he heard it.

Joan S. said...

Jay calls you 'Dear' so often you probably don't even notice anymore. He was calling ME Mom when I was there -- probably because he heard you and TJ call me that. I think he was calling me 'MomMom' when I didn't respond to 'Mom', too. Probably got that from all the grandkids calling MY mother by that name. He is quite the observant little fellow.

Mari said...

But Jen, when RYAN calls you Mama, something that's not your favorite term becomes sweet. I never saw myself as a "Mama" either, but if it's said with love, it's a treat.

I like the "dear"...adorable!

Joan S. said...

I agree with Mari - I never liked the name 'Nana' until I heard from 3 year old Zach's lips. LOVED it. (I like 'Grandma', too.)

Anonymous said...

BTW, when I was in first grade, I referred to my parents as 'Lovebug' and 'Dave.' I know Dave came from the Chipmunks...I hadn't yet realized that Dave was the guy's name, NOT another word for 'Dad.' I think I heard about somebody else using the 'Lovebug' name and I adopted it. Is that cute, or just pathetic?

Periwinkle Jen said...

I'll go with cute:-)

Anonymous said...

You're a good daughter...and smart, too.