Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I have a problem

I took Ryan to the doctor today for his ear. I LOVE her. She didn't leave us waiting in the room long. She was empathetic and kind without being gushy. She made Ryan feel comfortable. She suggested having the doctor that looked at the baby just check Ryan's ears while we were there. She knew when the baby would be coming in because she asked me how I was doing and about the baby's due date. She was just great. So what's the problem you ask? She is not our normal doctor. We go to a group practice. It's set up that you see one doctor regularly, but if you have a sick visit you might see another one. The boys' regular doctor is okay, but I really like this other one. So internet, is there a socially graceful way to switch to this doctor? Will it be awkward to see the other doctor? What do I do?! I figure it will be easy for the baby. I just say I want a female doctor for her, but I will actually have to switch the boys to the other doctor.

BTW-double ear infection for Ryan, but it doesn't look too bad yet. Hopefully one dose of antibiotic will make him feel back to normal.

8 comments:

Mrs. Flinger said...

WOW! It's like reading Claire's blog. Both of your boys have ear issues and you're both waiting to have a baby. Isn't it funny how you find people so similar in the same walk of life but on the Internet? Sorry.. just noticed that.

Hope Ryan gets better soon!! Waiting for baby updates and checking like the stalker that I am. :-) lol

Anonymous said...

I see your point, it might be uncomfortable to see your first doctor if you switch to another in the same practice...

Was Ryan more comfortable with her than with his regular doctor? If that's the case, I think you should switch for his sake. He'll be more cooperative if he is comfortable. Is there a way to find out if the doctor you saw today is available to accept your family as patients? If she's not, that resolves the problem.

Katie said...

I had this problem with my OB/GYN.
I liked the one who delivered Emily WAY better than my regular doc who I had been seeing for a long time (and who delivered all of my nieces). I just switched and if I run into my old doc I will just say I am going to the new one since she performed the c-section.

You could just start taking the baby to the new one and slowly switch Ryan too. The old doc might not notice a gradual change.

Tonia said...

A lot of doctors in a large practice don't even notice at all. When I switched OB/GYNs (I switched practices all together) I figured I would get a phone call when it was time for my annual, but I got a postcard in the mail about 9 MONTHS after my annual was supposed to be. So needless to say they don't care that much!

Erin said...

Sorry little Ryan is sick again. :( You guys can't catch a break this week! Sounds like you caught it early though so all will be well soon. :)

I say just do it. (the switch). The doctor's are probably too busy to care and you have to do what's best for you and your kids... and it sounds like you are much more comfortable with the woman doc. I think women make better pediatricians, honestly... (if they have kids)... they've been there, done that and understand how you feel as a mom!

Claire said...

Sorry about the little guy and his ears! Obviously we are dealing with some of that, too, but Isaac's antibiotics, one day later, have made a world of difference. I hope Ryan is already feeling better.

Our friends, who have a 1-yr-old, have the same problem. They go to the same group practice we do, except they see the old crotchety doctor who started the place whereas we see these fantastically kind and gentle younger doctor-ladies. Our friends are dreading the switch because they don't want it to look awkward, but I say they, and YOU, should just go for it. Having a doctor we really like and trust helps me sleep better at night.

Anonymous said...

I have always heard they would rather you switch within the prcctice than leave altogether. I have the same issue I love the doc we keep ending up with, but he is not our regular. I can't use the prefer a woman excuse with him, but I think thats PERFECT!

One Tweet Thing said...

Just switch them all and if he asks then say you felt you communicated better with her. Good doctors will use that to become a better doctor. He won't know there's a better way unless someone tells him.

But only if he asks. Otherwise, avoid!

:)