Friday, February 10, 2006
My Husband Doesn't Believe Me
I'm a pretty forthright person. I don't hide my emotions well even if I want to(which isn't often because I just don't like fakeness). I don't lie about stuff. My husband knows all this about me and yet he doesn't believe that I don't want any presents for Valentine's Day. I blame those commercials that have the woman saying she doesn't want anything then getting mad when she doesn't get anything and the general societal belief that women can't or won't be straight forward. Now I'm not all anti-Valentine's Day or anything. It's nice to have a day to focus on love and remember how much the people around you mean to you. I don't mind celebrating either. A nice date (not this year of course) is a great way to celebrate. A card is always nice too, but not critical to the enjoyment of the holiday. I do think that Valentine's Day is a overblown and that jewelry stores, candy makers and flower shops prey on poor unsuspecting men who just don't want to let their wives down by making them think if they don't get her a present she will not be happy. Have you ever noticed that there is no pressure for the women to get their men a gift? How is that fair?



5 comments:
its not fair. I've told Dave that he's welcome to get me a present if he wants, but if he gets me those overpriced flowers, I'll personally beat him around the head with them.
But Dave and I generally don't do presents for Valentine's Day either. If we think about it ahead of time, we'll get reservations at our fav restaurant (but that's months in advance planning). Otherwise, we'll cook together.
Sorry Jay doesn't believe you, but if this is the only thing he doesn't believe you about, that's not a bad deal! ;)
Presents are always welcome to me. :)
I agree with you. I don't want a gift for Valentine's Day either! LUckily, I'm pretty sure Tom believes me. A nice dinner together and maybe a card... that'd be great.
nope its not fair- and I am going though the same thing- to make matters worse to day (the 10th) is our annivsary. Which is great but we just bought a house and have our first baby due in April so I am thinking even if it is just a 20 dollar bunch of roses we have much more important things to do with our money at this point.
Awww...don't I have a sweet hubby:-)
Okay, hon, you're right. I won't complain if I get a gift, but I certainly won't be upset if I don't get one.
Is your hubby a great guy or what? What a nice little comment he left for us to read!
Post a Comment