I went to Picture People to get Ryan's "one year old" pictures because I had a coupon for a free print. If you ever decide to go there make an appointment first! They say you don't need one, but I was at the mall for 3 hours and when you are trying to work it in between naps that is a LONG time. We got there a little before 1:00 and they said they could fit us in around 1:40. In the moment it didn't seem like a long time to me. Erin opted to go another time because she didn't think Ben would last that long. She did stick around for me though. That was really sweet of her. So we wondered around the mall for a little while. When we got back they were ready for Ryan. The photographer expected that Ryan would stay in one place when I put him down. This was her first mistake. I put him down and she started shaking a colorful duster at him. This puzzled him I think. He looked at it for a minute, but was more interested in the camera equipment and the props that were behind her. He actually had some really cute moments with the props in the "backstage area" too bad the photographer didn't move them to the backdrop area before he got bored with them. He was interested in a gingerbread man after he had moved on she decided to put that over on the backdrop. Too late. There were more interesting things. He had already seen that. She was very set on one thing. Second mistake, toddler's attention span is about that of a housefly. So I asked if I could put something new on the backdrop even though it said props will be used at the sole digression of the photographer. If she had been ready to take a picture as soon as I put it down she could have gotten something. After a few seconds Ryan just pushed the prop(a gift box) to the edge of the mat. Grrr. Then we tried a snowflake and she was still shaking that stupid duster at him. He didn't smile much, but when he did she totally missed it. Then they tell me that the pictures will be ready to look at in an hour. Ben was really ready for his nap, so Erin went home. Ryan and I hung out, but he started getting fussy. I went back to tell them that I was going to have to leave and they said the pictures were ready. They had printed out a 10x13, 5x7 and wallet sheet of every pose. The lady said, "You can have everything on this table for two ninety-seven." $297! Who has $300 to spend on photos that are not even that good?! Then she said, "Will that be enough photos for you today?" I wanted to take my free photo and run, but I caved under the high pressure sales. Really not that as much as I wanted to get copies for my parents and Jay's parents. So I picked the two poses that I liked the best. I got the free 10x13 and I was going to buy the sheet of 5x7s. Of course the sheets are $18 a piece. That seems like a lot to me, but I don't know. I've never done professional pictures except for the wedding and those seemed expensive to me too. Then she presented me with a deal that seemed good at the time, but now I'm not so sure. You can join the portrait club and get free sittings for a year plus 3 free sheets. Of course the next two free sheets have to be used on the next two visits, but that didn't seem like a huge deal at the time. I figure I'll take both the boys and get them done together and maybe do the whole family another time. The portrait club is $39.95, so basically I would get 3 free sheets and only spend $20 more than I was planning on spending. Hmmm. Seems like a good deal. Plus I could use a coupon for a free 10x13 every time too, so I'd get even more for my money. So I went for it. Now I'm not sure it is such a good deal. Maybe other places don't charge $18 per sheet and I could get more pictures anyway. I don't know! Anyone with experience in this area have some advice?!
I'll post the pictures that I bought this weekend even though it may ruin the surprise for the grandparents;-) Jay told me he would reinstall the scanner for me today:-) He's such a good Jay:-)



No comments:
Post a Comment