Saturday, October 08, 2005
Name Poll
For a long time now I've known that if I was having a girl her nickname would be Sweet Pea. That was easy for me. Coming up with a real name that I know I will want to stick with...not so much. We have a huge list of names we like. There are so many sweet girl names! So I made a poll of some of our favorites to see how they strike other people. Feel free to comment here after you see the names we like. There is one name on the list that I love, but Jay doesn't like and one that I'm not real crazy about, but Jay loves. I think seeing how other people react to the names will maybe give us something to think about. The list might seem a little bit long, but it doesn't even have all the names we have considered!



23 comments:
It's a tough decision, isn't it? Let us know when you've chosen!
Love you!
GRACE is my absolute favorite girl's name... and sadly, I CAN'T USE IT because of our annoyingly similar last name. So my vote is for grace... again, I'm living vicariously. My second favorite is Lily. :)
btw, the poll wasn't cooporating and wouldn't let me vote, that's why I commented here. :)
I've been trying to guess which one it is that Jay likes that you don't...
I'm thinking maybe Ashley or Taylor?
I've been guessing, too! You'll tell us at some point, won't you?
We both like Taylor, but I am worried about a little girl having a name that can be male or female. I remember in 4th grade one of the girls in my class was named Jamie and she couldn't find her class because she was on the boy's list. The teacher didn't know; she just made a guess. I think it traumatized her.
Abigail happens to be my favorite. That was actually my first choice in a girl's name, but the hubs insisted we name Madeline after her grandmother. So if we have a second girl, her name will be Abigail.
Agreed on the Taylor issue. It's also Tom's brother's name, so I'm a little jaded. Funny though, he is awfully sensitive about the fact that it's mostly a girl's name these days.
Jen, Thanks for sharing and allowing us to give input! There are soooo many lovely girl names aren't there and you guys have a great list! I voted for Lilian because I thought it sounded so beautiful with your last name and I would include Lily with that as a nickname. Can I vote for more than one?? I also liked Abigail, Ashley, Diana, Grace, Hailey, Hannah, Samantha, and Marie. Can you tell I like the classics??? Good luck!!!!
P.S. Landon liked the name Amber!
What great choices...First, I'd like to say, love the poll idea, but I hope you know in the end, it doesn't matter what we think. That being said, I'll tell you ones that overlap with our list of girl names: Abigail, Grace, Hailey, Hannah, Isabel, Samantha. I like names that can have boyish nicknames (i.e., Sam).
My two cents: We tried picturing the names on diplomas, birthday cards, wedding invitations, and business cards. It was our way of seeing if the name sounds like a friend, a bride, a professional. Did it have options for her to play around with? I hated that Mary didn't really have options, so in junior high, I started spelling it with an "i".
I like Lily myself, but I warn you that it may be a bit of my Harry Potter mania coming out.
I always used to love Samatha (for the Sam angle) but now every time I hear it I think of Who's The Boss.
Also, I have found that nicknames don't always work out. I've been wanting for years to be known as Chris, but even when I introduce myself as that people eventually start calling me Christina. Apparently I'm just not a "Chris"
Hi! This is my first comment here, but i've been reading for a little while. Found you through Erin's blog. I voted for Lily.
Mari- yep. I just thought seeing what other people think of the names might give us an idea what names would have a good reaction in general. Like I said most of the names we both like.
Denise-Welcome:-)
Katie-Gee, did you just copy and paste the list;-) Obviously I think you have great taste:-)
Christina- I never thought Harry Potter would be mentioned on my blog. You've always been good for the unexpected. Is Lily a main character? I don't know anything about Harry Potter.
Lily is Harry's mom's name.
Btw... Diana with yourlast name is a little like Grace with our last name... lots and lots of alliteration. I like the name though!
I don't think Diana D. is so bad. It's not like it's Hanna Banana or something. I'll take it under concideration though.
I vote for Erin's ideas.
I don't know if you care about having a unique name for your baby girl, but many of your names are among the most popular right now, hence she may have several of them in her clesses. Which isn't always bad, I was the only Judy all through school, and it kinda bugged me then.
That said, Abigail is my top choice for a baby girl someday, because I want an Abby. I voted for Diana because you don't hear it much. (I'm here via erin at taleofababyhuman)
Judy- A valid concern for a Jennifer of 1977(look that one up in the census!) I want my children to have names that are common enough to not be made fun of or thought strange, but unique enough to not have 4 or 5 in their class. I had 5 Jennys in my kindergarten class.
I did not do so well with Ryan- he has 3 other Ryans in his Sunday school age group, luckily they don't all come at the same time. I thought I had done well. A name that everyone has heard, but isn't crazy popular. It is a fine line.
I also very much like the classic names. I like some other types of names, but the classics are what my husband and I agree on the most.
I also am a fan of Lily. While I like Abigail, I am a bit horrified of it because it is in the top 3 most popular girls names for the past few years. I think I'm a bit like Jen -- I want a classic-sounding name, something everybody is familiar with (and especially knows how to spell), but one that's not too common (like Isaac!)
Kind of like Mari suggested -- every name I come up with has to first pass the lawyer/scientist/rock-star test, as in, would said name sound appropriate in each of those professions? This is how he eliminated one of my guilty-pleasure favorite names, Daisy. Would you hire a lawyer named Daisy? Mayyyyyyybe not.
oops -- meant to say that the lawyer/scientist/rock-star test is administered by the hubs.
I voted for Lily, I love that name and it is so sweet for a little girl.
Post a Comment