Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

2 and 1/2?

Ryan was born August 30. That means he doesn't have a half-birthday :-( It would be February 30. Even his ticker is confused. Yesterday it said he was 2 years 5 months and 4 weeks old. Today he is 2 years 6 months and 1 day old. So when does he get to be 2 and a half? Well, I'm writing his 2 and 1/2 post today because it is a big enough milestone that it deserves a post.

Ryan is two and a half and every bit if two. He is fighting for independence and control- trying to figure out his way. He has definitely discovered that he has his own thoughts and the ability to do something other than what mommy and daddy say. It is a huge struggle some days. Some days I think if I hear one more minute of screaming my head is going to explode. Other days(or even the same day at a different time) I think how he couldn't be more of an angel. He is thoughtful, empathetic, sweet, generous, hilarious and incredibly smart. He can go from the sweetest, most well mannered 2 year old I've ever seen to a screaming, tantrum throwing toddler tornado in a millisecond. It's hard sometimes, but worth it when I get those giant hugs and "I wuv you, mommy!"s.

Ryan loves seeing his friends at Sunday school and he loves going to gymnastics. He loves songs and stories at bedtime. His favorite songs are a little off the beaten track, "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" by Debbie Reynolds, "High Hopes" by Frank Sinatra and "Swingin' on a Star" by Bing Crosby are among the favorites right now. His favorite stories include anything Thomas, "I'm a Big Brother Now" and "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go".

He is strong and coordinated, but will throw himself on the floor for a laugh. He is shy, but kind. He is adorable and fun, but mischievous. He builds tracks with bridges for his trains. Then he voices little conversations for them as they travel around the track until the inevitable "AAAAAAHHHHHH, PKKKKKKKKKKK. Oh no!" He builds puzzles and towers of legos then breaks them apart and throws them around. He'll talk your ear off sometimes and not say a word other times. He is a paradox...he is 2 and 1/2.

A little rambly and not quite put together, but that's about how I feel these days; I can't expect to have much more in a post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe a little rambly, but definitely 'spot on' as Mary Poppins would say. He inherited his mother's talent for screaming -- a good one can go right through ya! Love you both.

One Tweet Thing said...

Cool! Ryan apparently just got younger by a day. Can I get a ticker that does that? ;)

Happy Half-Birthday Ryan! Maybe you'll get a little sis as a present!

Joan S. said...

According to the ticker, *today* Ryan is two years and six months old. Imagine that == his sister could be born on his half-birthday!

One Tweet Thing said...

I would like everyone to note the time stamp on my comment above and the time stamp on the post about the water breaking.

I think I deserve some props for that!

Joan S. said...

Wow, Christina, you're right! Good job.