Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 11, 2005

Pull up a couch...

For those who followed the great Nemo mural saga of August and Sept 2004...I finally finished the Nemo! And realized something about myself.
Finished Nemo Posted by Hello

Let me preface this by telling you I've been reading this book, The Confident Woman, by Annabelle Gillham. It has really been amazing. The Psych major in me is fascinated because I didn't learn this in any of my classes and yet it makes so much sense. Jay and I are also doing a study called The Life together that parallels the book, but it's for men and women.
One thing I realized about myself from reading the book is that sometimes I don't finish things because if I say it is finished and someone thinks it's not good I have to answer for it. It's not so much that I have to answer to other people, but to myself about why it wasn't great. I am very sensitive to criticism. I've learned this is because acceptance of my performance is how I get my love needs met. It's how I feel accepted by others and how I accept myself. I have to be good, if not great or perfect at everything I do. I've always tended to shy away from things I wasn't good at right away. My thought process might say, If someone didn't like how I did something it must mean they don't like me or I had better not do this because it might not be good enough... I might not be good enough. I didn't even realize this about myself. I just chalked it up to laziness and procrastination. Hmmm...could this be the root of my procrastinating tendencies? Uh-YES! Doh. Well, I just told myself a finished imperfect wall is better than an unfinished wall with plastic underneath so I can paint "when I get the chance." I even dare to say that I like it and I'm glad I did it. Well, I can't say that I've turned my whole way of doing things(or as they are called in the book-green highways) around, but it's a start. Perhaps I will catch myself when I'm doing it more often and I'll be able to stop determining my worth by what other people think.
Thanks for coming to my therapy session. I hope I didn't lose you in translation ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting thoughts there. I have loved Nemo from the beginning, though, and thought he looked PERFECT. I'll bet Zach likes him even more now, and wants you to paint other characters, as well.

Mrs. Flinger said...

LOVE the painting. That's truly amazing. I know it's hard to be a perfectionist and be sensitive to criticism, but honestly, this is wonderful. I can't draw stick figures well. :-)

Periwinkle Jen said...

Thanks guys. I was just glad I finished it and I am able to say it's finished(at least Nemo, I might add some charachters).

RB said...

So cute! I am going to check that book out as well, thanks for the tip!

RB said...

So cute! I am going to check that book out as well, thanks for the tip!

RB said...

So cute! I am going to check that book out as well, thanks for the tip!