I think I have birthed the most independent child ever. Ryan wants to do everything himself. From opening the juice bottle to putting on his clothes- he wants to do it himself. When I start to do something he starts to fuss and says, "Ryan do it!" If I don't let him he breaks down into this horrible crying like I smacked him upside the head or something. Then he sticks his lip out and looks all pitiful. Sometimes he even plops into a lump on the floor. To those who are not involved in the interaction directly I must look like the most uncaring, awful mother ever! It's so hard to do the right thing sometimes.
Oh wait, did I say he likes to do everything...there is one exception. He likes me to carry him. I'll ask, "Do you want to walk or do you want mommy to carry you?" He says, "Mommy carry you." about 9 times out of 10. Sometimes when I put him down to walk he will put up his arms up and say, "Mommy carry you." It's kind of cute, but it's going to break my back one of these days.
Maybe it's because he is 2 years-2 months-2 days old today.



5 comments:
Congratulations! You have reached what is known to some as the 'terrible twos.' I disagree, because your whole job involves raising your child to thrive and survive in the in which he lives...he can't thrive is we don't let him do things for himself. You're not an awful mother, you're a very good mother, doing the right things to help your baby grow. However, it can still be very frustrating...GOOD LUCK! Love you.
Callie is the same way! She also says "Callie do it" for everything and instead of "carry you" she says, "Mama, hold you". But 9 times out of 10 I tell her I can't and that usually works. Sometimes, she's in a lump on the floor too. Isn't it great being a mom to a 2yr old? :)
Feel. Your. Life.
Maddie is a very independent child, and it comes with blessings and annoyances.
You're right, Mari. It does have blessings too.
Unlike Callie, Coley says exactly that: "Mommy carry you." So cute, but yes, exasperating.
Post a Comment