I was thinking about my post all last night...yet another reason why I had trouble getting to sleep. I remember going into the post thinking about one thing and then just going off in a sort of stream of consciousness. When I started my post I had some things I wanted to say...since I went off on a tangent they didn't all get said clearly. Then the baby needed me and I had to stop without really making sure it was clear. I probably shouldn't have posted it before checking it better. I do feel all the ways I said, but there is much more. Someone who is very special e-mailed me saying she was hurt because she thought that her choice of career seemed to be lesser in my eyes than family. I thought I had addressed this, but I guess not clearly enough. That is not the case at all. What I really mean is that girls shouldn't be taught(especially in schools) that women who stay at home are inherently less important, but neither are women who choose to work. That it is an individual choice that should not be degraded by others. I do feel that if you have a family that should be paramount in your mind when you make all your decisions...if you work, how many hours, if you really need so many material things or if your kids would benefit more from having you. I have no problem at all with women who choose career instead of family...more power to you. I think it's great that a woman can have a great career if she wants to, but I don't think the idea that being a career woman is the only way to be a strong woman is correct. Given today's political climate I would venture to say it takes a stronger character and sense of self to stay at home because of all the pressure there is to work from society. Especially with housing and other pricing skyrocketing because this 2 income society will support it. It's no longer an advantage to have 2 incomes it's the norm which makes it a disadvantage to have one income. I just think today's society reflects a sad state of moral integrity in general...does all this come from women in the workforce...NO, of course not! Here is a sort of a chicken and the egg argument for you though...Are morals declining because of how children are being raised or are children being raise the way they are because of the lack of morals in our society?
I guess yesterday's post was because of a democratic national convention overload...lots of built up pressure. Soon it will be over and I will not be faced with such opposition to my very being and I will be a little more rational;-)



1 comment:
Well you know that you and I agree on this... that the best thing you can give your child is your time.
I am all for women working ... and if women with children HAVE to work to get by, that's all well and good too.
I just have seen and know from experience that kids who are raised with one parent at home full-time really REALLY benefit. There are times when it's necessary to work outside the home, and then there are just people who need the career/earning potential etc. to define who they are because "just being a mommy" isn't enough.
I don't consider myself superior to moms who work outside the home. I do consider myself lucky that I can. Tom and I make sacrifices so I can stay home (don't get me wrong, it pained me to give up my salary).... but we think it's an investment that will ultimately pay off with kids who are secure, well-adjusted, loving, sensitive, kind... the list goes on and on.
Thankfully, I think there is a trend toward women of our generation wanting to stay home with their kids... or work from home to spend more time with their kids. It's nice knowing I CAN work but that I can CHOOSE not to.
Post a Comment