Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Changes

I think I may have found a part time solution to my shower problem. It all started last Friday when Ryan wouldn't take his morning nap and I had to go out. I knew he wouldn't do well in his chair and I didn't think the pack and play in the bathroom would work because I couldn't get around it in our little bathroom. Last week I tried putting him in his crib with some toys, the light on and I took the monitor in the bathroom. This worked okay, but I don't want him to think "play time" when he gets in his crib. It also meant that I had to take a quick shower because I only had as long as it took him to throw all his toys out of the crib and get bored. I also felt a little funny with him being awake and me not being as available as I would like, so this didn't seem like a great solution. So I knew I needed to come up with something else. As a last ditch effort to try to get clean and not leave him alone I took him in the shower with me. He loved it! He was fascinated with the water coming out of the shower head and bonus I just cleaned him up while we were in there! One thing I realized afterwards was I should have used baby wash since some of my soap got on him, but since I washed him after me I figured I wouldn't hurt that one time. So, today I got to take a shower in the morning right after breakfast:-) This time I used baby wash. There is one down side, I can't shave with a baby in one arm. I'm thinking if I get a big nonslip mat I can put him down for a minute and have more manuverability. We'll see how it works out before I break out the razor. Yea for babies who love water!
On another note, Zach will be going to school full time tomorrow and hopefully for the rest of the year. Now I will have more flexibility with errands and such since I will only have to work them around Ryan's 2 naps and not catching the bus in the middle of the day. I think Ryan may actually be changing his sleep schedule to go right through the mid-day bus time, so this may be good for his sleep habits as well. I went in to get him to go to the bus stop this afternoon and he didn't even wake up until I put him in the stroller(of course). Since the kindergarten bus stop is 2 and 1/2 blocks away I can't just leave him in his crib and take the monitor like I do in the afternoon. In the afternoon the bus stops at the end of our street about 40 feet from our house. I can hear him on the monitor if he wakes up. It's great. That's the stop where Zach will catch the bus in the morning too. If I park the car right I can watch him from my front door when he gets too old for his mom to walk him to the bus stop;-) Zach is very excited to be going to school for the whole day. I hope he stays excited when he actually goes all day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the shower solution. I love it that Ryan enjoys water so much!
So, the decision has been made for Zach to go to school all day. Does that mean he is a first-grader, now?
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
I think that's wonderful. Hey thanks sooo much for having me over to chill with the boyz and you guys... I had an awesome break despite my stupid paper (which i'm working on now at 3am, only hours before its due heh heh). Well anyway, thanks for hanging out and coming by and have a great day!
love, uncle ben

Periwinkle Jen said...

As far as Zach knows he is "checking out what first grade is like."
He is on a 30 day probationary period for first grade. Today and tomorrow he will go to first grade in the morning and kindergarten in the afternoon.

Erin said...

Zach's skipping kindergarten? Wow! I knew that kid was a smartie... how'd you work it? Did the teacher suggest it or what?

Also, great solution to the shower situation... lately I've been letting Ben just crawl around the bathroom, but I'm thinking that might not last very long once he figures out how to really get into things...

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how that would work for Zach--he must have made friends in kindergarten and the sudden switch might be unsettling. I think half and half makes sense. I hope it goes well for all of you. Take care. Love you, MOM

Periwinkle Jen said...

He went to the classroom to meet the teacher yesterday and apparently he knows some kids in the class already. He told me his friend from the bus is in that class.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Zach's having a friend in the first grade is a positive sign that you are headed in the right direction. I hope so--he's a bright kid. Love you, MOM