Thursday, August 11, 2005
I can't believe it worked!
I made it out of the house yesterday. I really had no choice. We were getting dangerously low on baby wipes. You really just don't want to run out of wipes. So we went to Target. I was feeling decent so we made our way over to the toy section after I got what I needed. I wanted to look for a specific favor for Ryan's party. They didn't have what I wanted:-( While we were looking we saw some Thomas the Tank Engine toys. There was this one Duplo one that really caught Ryan's eye. He said, "Mommy, I want that one." I was a bit shocked at his consumerism. He has never asked for anything like that in the store before. Sometimes he would point or fuss, but this was a breakthrough. Not one I was looking forward to, but definitely developmental progress. I could see this turning into a 2 year old I-want-my-way tantrum. I didn't think he would understand, but I tried the old, "Maybe for your birthday." It worked. I couldn't believe it, but it worked! Then I told him his birthday is coming soon and how he is going to be 2. He giggled. Am I crazy or is my little boy really starting to understand language?! Did I just say little boy instead of baby?! Oh, he is growing up so fast.



3 comments:
Good for you! I'm so glad you asked him to wait...instant gratification is a great way to create a monster. I think you knew that, didn't you?
Glad you managed a day out. Love you.
Okay weird, I just wrote about this same thing... BEFORE I READ YOUR BLOG. Weird! Weird! Weird!
Our trip to Target was also a success... with no tantrums even though we didn't pick up anything in the toy aisle! We are rockin' mommies! ;)
Speaking of this Duplo toy... which one was it.. and is it spoken for? ;)
There was a Duplo Thomas, a Percy and one other engine(can't remember which one). They are bigger than the Brios trains. They were right across from the Brios at our Target. Just to let you know he seems to really like James as well as Thomas. You can have dibbs if you want. Just let me know after you check them out.
Post a Comment