Zach starts soccer today after school. He was very upset this morning. I had told him he won't be riding the bus home, but going straight to soccer. He came downstairs in only shorts very upset. When I asked him what's wrong he struggled to get out "I-can't[snif-snif] find my[deep breath, deep breath]my soccer shirt." Of course he doesn't have one yet, so I tell him he doesn't need to wear it for practice. A tee shirt will be fine. Then he tells me he's a little bit nervous about soccer. So I ask him what he's nervous about and he says "What if it's big?"(I'm sure this is something he got from TV, the Bernstein Bears got to School-I think.) I asked what he meant by big and he couldn't explain. I'm thinking it's been suggested that he should be nervous when doing new things(indirectly of course.) Like his teacher was saying it's okay to be nervous about starting school and the Bernstein Bears episode about the same thing. Never-the-less I took him seriously because an idea that is planted in your mind can create feelings just as real as any others. I explained to him that he would be playing with kids his own age and they would just be learning too. I also told him they would just learn how to play at first, not play real games. They would learn how to dribble, aim and score goals. To which he replied,"I know how to dribble." That seemed to give him some confidence. I told him I'd come watch him practice after Ryan gets up from his nap. I think he was okay when he left for school. He told everyone we saw, "I'm playing soccer today!" I'm going to take my camera to his practice. I'll post pictures if I can get any good ones.
Zach headed for the ball; He's wearing the white shirt and dark blue shorts.

This would have been a great shot if it wasn't blurry:(

1 comment:
Sounds like you handled it very well, Mom.
Remind Zachary that Uncle TJ played soccer when he was Zach's age, too, and he had to learn just like Zach is learning now. I hope he enjoys his first practice and has fun learning the game. Love, MOM
Post a Comment